Going to a church for the first time can be an intimidating experience. What is going to happen? Will I be dressed right? Will they tell me when I need to stand up or sit down? What kind of Bible will I need? What will the worship be like? Will there be people there like me? We don't want you to be unsure about trying Hills Church. There are a number of churches in Pullman, and many of them are different in their style of service, so here's what you will want to know:
- People: Hills church is not a college student ministry; instead, we are a local church with lots of students! About half of Hills is made up of college students attending WSU or U of I. We believe God has called us to Pullman; a city where there are around 25,000 students (many without a church home), and we believe Jesus wants to reach them. There are also many families with kids and young professionals that attend Hills Church, as well as people near retirement age. You have freedom Sunday to talk to as few or as many people as you like, but expect that we'll be friendly and welcome you to our church home :)
- Atmosphere: You don't need to dress up in formal clothes. Please be comfortable in your normal "weekend clothes." People will say hi to you and be friendly, but not invade your space. Feel free to hang out in the foyer before the service starts or grab a seat and get comfortable in our auditorium.
- Parking: Hills offers easy parking right behind the Bell Tower, as well as overflow parking on Spring St. Just look for the parking attendants and signage, and they'll direct you where to go!
- Walking In: There are two entrances to our service. Our side entrance on Spring Street is for parents and kids as well as anyone who needs a flat entrance without stairs. Our main entrance is on the corner of Spring and Main street (look for the big red arched doors). Either entrance has coffee and bagels that you can grab before or after the service. If you do not have children, please use our main entrance to help our parents facilitate easy check-in for their kids in the Kids' Program.
- Refreshments: Start your morning off with a cup of coffee or tea in the parents lobby or auditorium foyer. Enjoy a toasted bagel and cream cheese before our service starts. Also, feel free to bring your coffee and food into the auditorium with you (please just use a provided lid for your drink).
The worship portion of our service lasts 20-25 minutes. The worship music is current, while mixed with a rich heritage of hymn-like truth. We will invite everyone to stand for worship, but feel free to sit or stand once the service begins.
After announcements, a pastor will teach from the English Standard Version of the Bible in a clear and understandable way, usually 30-40 minutes.
We end our service every Sunday by inviting those who would like to receive prayer forward. The whole church worships together with a final song at their seats during prayer time. If you're our guest, please don't feel pressure to go up for prayer. Enjoy the service!
- Kids' Program: Hills Church offers an upbeat Kids' Program complete with worship and Bible teaching. We invite parents to check in their little ones up to 15 minutes before the service begins. Parents may also keep their children with them if they prefer.
- Nursery: Our nursery is in our Kids' Space and it has well trained leaders who will take great care of your little ones during the service. We also offer a nursing mothers corner in our Kids' Program that has privacy and a live feed into our auditorium so you'll be able to listen to the service while you're helping your child.
- Length of Service: The service lasts for about an hour and 20 minutes; we start on time and end on time, so that you can make plans for the rest of your day.
We hope you'll give Hills Church a try!